Are you a graduate, currently working in a Milton Keynes school as a Teaching Assistant, who wishes to take that next all-important, exciting step to becoming a qualified teacher?
Are you a Headteacher, who has spotted someone within your support staff who has huge potential? Would you like, in conjunction with the Two Mile Ash ITT Partnership, to ‘grow your own’ future teachers?
The School Direct or School Direct (salaried) programme allows you to do just that. We are looking for schools with passionate teaching staff, who thrive on sharing their expertise and supporting others and who would like to get involved in selection, training, hosting or assessing trainee teachers.
Benefits to Headteachers of School Direct training:
- Practitioners, who by the end of their training year, are already familiar with your school’s ethos, school routines and expectations.
- Opportunities for existing staff to develop their own skills by mentoring new entrants to the profession.
- Savings made on recruitment costs by having a ‘ready-made’ NQT to join your existing staff.
- Trainees who benefit from bringing the knowledge and understanding developed in their core training sessions into their classroom practice.
- Development of a personalised school-based training programme within your school, tailoring to the needs of the school, the catchment and its children.
Potential applicants and Headteachers should first discuss the possibility of School Direct or School Direct (salaried) training with each other, before the approaching the Partnership, where we will be only too happy to discuss how the programme might look in your school and the levels of financial support needed.
Funding for primary School Direct (salaried) places is extremely limited nationwide, so we advise schools, wanting to support trainees through the salaried route, that they need to approach the Partnership as soon as possible during the Autumn Term to check availability.
Please email Jane Cole, Teaching School Co-Ordinator in the first instance on email@example.com
Requirements of any school wishing to support a School Direct (salaried) trainee
- Evidence that the trainee will be exposed to high quality teaching and learning
- A whole-school commitment to working in collaboration with TMA ITT Partnership
- Experienced member of staff, with at least 2 years teaching experience, to act as School Based Trainer (mentor)
- Flexible approach to supporting trainee needs
- Release of trainee from school to attend core training sessions (Autumn and Spring terms)
- Release of trainee for additional PGCE teaching weeks (if undertaking PGCE route)
- Release of trainee from school for 6 weeks at the start of the Spring term for cross key stage practice in a second school
- Release of SBT to attend half-termly meetings at Two Mile Ash
- Release of Headteacher to attend termly meetings at Two Mile Ash
- Financial commitment required to support trainee on QTS or PGCE programme (For 2017, a salary grant of £9,000 is available from NCTL to contribute towards costs).